Registration is now closed.
ESSEC Business School, Paris, France
Ivana Ljubic is Professor of Operations Research at the ESSEC Business School of Paris. She holds a PhD degree in computer science from the Vienna University of Technology (2004). Prior to joining ESSEC in 2015, she was appointed at the University of Vienna, where she also received her habilitation in Operations Research in 2013. Research interests of Ivana Ljubic include combinatorial optimization, optimization under uncertainty and bilevel optimization, with applications in network design, telecommunications, and logistics. She is member of Editorial Board of European Journal of Operational Research, Computers & Operations Research and she is Associate Editor for Transportation Science and Networks.
Department of Technology, Management and Economics, Technical University of Denmark
Stefan Ropke is a Professor of Operations Research at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). He holds a PhD degree in computer science from the University of Copenhagen. Research interests of Stefan Ropke include decomposition algorithms and metaheuristics, with applications in transport optimization. Stefan Ropke is the author of the widely used Adaptive Large Neighborhood Search algorithm (ALNS) metaheuristic.
The course is organized by the Transport and Mobility Laboratory, EPFL.
The objective of the Winter School is to expose the audience to modern topics on Data Science, Optimization and Operations Research. Every year, two prominent researchers are invited to provide tutorials on selected topics, and to discuss some of their recent research with the students. Designed for doctoral education, the course is open to academic researchers (professors, researchers, PhD students) and professionals (from industry and public authorities), interested in optimization and operations research. The course is organized by Prof. Michel Bierlaire, Transport and Mobility Laboratory (TRANSP-OR), School of Architecture, Civil and Environmental Engineering (ENAC), Ecole Polytechnique de Lausanne (EPFL). It takes place in Zinal, a ski resort in the Swiss Alps. The special environment triggers a specific atmosphere that encourages scientific and personal exchanges among the participants. In addition to the lectures, workshops will be organized every day where the students will have the opportunity to work on recent papers of the invited lecturers, under their guidance.
The course is designed for academic researchers (professors, researchers, PhD students) and for professionals (from industry and public authorities) interested in data science, optimization and operations research. It is not an introductory course. Therefore, it is expected that participants have a background in statistics, optimization and operations research.Register
|Regular registration:||500 CHF|
|Students and staff from Swiss universities:||250 CHF|
The tuition fee includes: the participation to the lectures, the participation to the workshops, the coffee breaks, the welcome cocktail on Sunday, the conference dinner on Thursday. The event is financially supported by the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne.
Venue and accommodation
The winter school will take place at Hotel Europe in Zinal.
- Welcome cocktail on Sunday at 18:30: main restaurant of the hotel.
- Lectures and workshops: level -2 of the hotel, in the sport hall.
- Coffee breaks: main restaurant of the hotel.
- Banquet dinner on Thursday: main restaurant of the hotel.
We recommend the participants to stay at the hotel Europe. Book directly at the hotel, and mention that you are participating to the seminar. If you are not staying at Hotel Europe, you may want to join us for dinner. In that case, please mention it to the hotel.
The course is worth 2 ECTS credits. The students who need to be evaluated to obtain the credit must inform the organizer during registration. In order to obtain the credit, the students must participate to the lectures, participate to the workshops, provide an oral presentation, submit a report. The students will be organized by groups. A scientific paper authored by one of the lecturers will be assigned to each group. During the workshops, the students will have the opportunity to interact with the author of the paper. An oral presentation of the paper by the group will be organized.
After the course, each student will prepare a technical report on a topic related to the course. The topic cannot be associated with the same lecturer as the paper presented during the workshop. This is personal work, and the topic should be approved by the lecturer during the workshop. The report should summarize the topic, provide a literature review, and a personal discussion about the topic (strengths and weaknesses, potential applications, possible extensions, etc.) The objective is to show that the students have understood the concepts, and are able to be critical about it. The report does not need to be long (about 10-15 pages).
The workload for the course is 15 hours of lectures, 8 hours of workshop, preparation of the presentations, report writing.
|12:00||17:00||Sport and discussions|
- Wednesday, 17:00: Group 1 (Julie Dutoit, Sicheng Gong) Benders decomposition for very large scale partial set covering and maximal covering location problems
- Wednesday, 17:30: Group 2 (Buse Sen, Pankaj Pankaj Kumar Sinha, Jiali Deng) A tailored Benders decomposition approach for last-mile delivery with autonomous robots
- Wednesday, 18:00: Group 3 (Cédric Terrier, Daniel Müllerklein) The time constrained multi-commodity network flow problem and its application to liner shipping network design
- Wednesday, 18:30: Group 4 (Florian Fuchs, Torrejón Valenzuela Alberto, Yumeng FANG) Branch and Cut and Price for the Pickup and Delivery Problem with Time Windows
List of participants
- Bierlaire Michel, EPFL (CH)
- Lurkin Virginie, University of Lausanne (CH)
- Gallay Olivier, University of Lausanne (CH)
- Abdolhamidi Dorsa, University of Lausanne (CH)
- Gajda Mikele, University of Lausanne (CH)
- Ortelli Nicola, HEIG-VD / EPFL (CH)
- Haering Tom, EPFL (CH)
- Taskesen Bahar, EPFL (CH)
- Kadem Khadidja, Université Gustave Eiffel (FR)
- Maybury Lucy, Cardiff University (CH)
- Pougala Janody, EPFL (CH)
- Pankaj Kumar Sinha Pankaj, Norwegian School of Economics (NO)
- Marija Kukic, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (CH)
- Torres Fabian, EPFL (CH)
- Rezvany Negar, EPFL (CH)
- Mousavi Kianoush, EPFL (CH)
- Trautmann Norbert, University of Bern (CH)
- Saupe Jonas, University of Bern (CH)
- Klein Nicklas, University of Bern (CH)
- Widmer Marino, Université de Fribourg - DIUF (CH)
- Xu Andrea Teng, Epfl (CH)
- Zorgati Riadh, Edf lab Paris Saclay (FR)
- Zufferey Nicolas, University of Geneva (CH)
- Fuchs Florian, ETH IVT Transport Systems (CH)
- Bender Mila, Transp-or (CH)
- Cabrera Malik Nicolas, HEC Montreal (CA)
- Terrier Cédric, EPFL (CH)
- Jorge Mortes Alcaraz, IMT Atlantique (FR)
- Alberto Torrejón Valenzuela, Universidad de Sevilla (ES)
- Gong Sicheng, Eindhoven University of Technology (NL)
- Van Delft Bastien, EPFL (CH)
- Deng Jiali, University of Copenhagen (DK)
- Sen Buse, EPFL (CH)
- Müllerklein Daniel, Catholic University of Eichstaett-Ingolstadt (DE)
- cortes balcells cloe, epfl (CH)
- Lebayle Bastien, Giro (CA)
- Soualah Sofiane, Giro (CA)
- Rychener Yves, EPFL (CH)
- Kumar Kunal, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines (NL)
- Löffler Sven, BTU Cottbus-Senftenberg (DE)
- Zamal Muchammad Arya, TU Eindhoven (NL)
- Dahimi Aria, Eindhoven University of Technology (NL)
- Hosseininejad Reyhanehalsadat, EPFL (CH)
- Shukla Megh, EPFL (CH)
- Rahimi Ahmad, EPFL (CH)
- Messaoud Ben Amor Kaouther, EPFL (CH)
- Luan Po-Chien, EPFL (CH)
- Demonsant Céline, EPFL (CH)
- Saba Siadati, Eindhoven of University of Technology (NL)
- Varone Sacha, Haute Ecole de Gestion de Genève (CH)
- Kuhn Daniel, EPFL (CH)
- Meritxell Pacheco Paneque, DS&OR (Université de Fribourg) (CH)
- Schindl David, DS&OR (Université de Fribourg) and HEG Genève (CH)
- Gherardi Martina, University of Bergamo (IT)
- De Boeck Jérôme, DS&OR (Université de Fribourg) (CH)
- FANG Yumeng, Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research (LU)
- Fischer Vera, University of Fribourg (CH)
- Bangerter Elise, Université de Fribourg (CH)
- Yazdani Esfidvajani Alireza, Eindhoven University of Technology (NL)
- Gao Zhi, Copernicus Institute of Sustainable Development (NL)
- Stefan Gislind, Universität Wien (AT)
- Ries Bernard, University of Fribourg (CH)
- Baghirova Narmina, university of fribourg (CH)
- Schneider Philipp, EPFL (CH)
- Sifringer Brian, EPFL (CH)
- Francisco Temprano García, Universidad de Sevilla (ES)
- Dauvilliers Clément, EPFL (CH)
- Ataç Selin, EPFL (CH)
- Wang Mengyi, EPFL (CH)
- Evangelos Paschalidis, EPFL (CH) (CH)
- Hillel Tim, UCL (GB)
- Dutoit Julie, EPFL (CH)
- Kiyavash Negar, EPFL (CH)
- Lebayle Bastien, Giro (CA)
- Sofiane Soualah, GIRO inc (CA)